Paper Jack o Lantern Craft
This is a cute craft for older children (ages 8 – 10) as it takes a little bit of skill to measure, cut and assemble the Paper Jack O Lantern Craft. Similar to a Chinese Paper Lantern, where you cut strips of paper to to form the lantern shape. Place on top of a battery operated light for a cute glowing decoration.
- Orange construction paper – in this example, I used 8.5″ x 11″ paper.
- Scraps of black construction paper
- Craft glue
- Battery operated light
- Brown pipe cleaner cut in half
- Fall leaves for decorating
- Draw a line 1/2 inch up on the long edge of the paper. This will create the base of the pumpkin and mark the stopping point for cutting the strips of paper.
- Perpendicular to the line, start drawing lines 1″ apart to the edge of the paper. Cut these 1″ strips of paper apart being careful not to cut beyond the 1/2″ base.
- Punch a hole about 1/4″ down on each of the 1″ strips of paper.
- Attach the two ends of the base together with a piece of scotch tape.
- Fold the 1/2 piece of pipe cleaner to form the stem of the pumpkin. Twist the ends of the pipe cleaner together.
- Bring the strips of paper together to form the top of the pumpkin and slide the twisted ends of the pipe cleaner throught the punched holes.
- Bend the ends of the pipe cleaner inside the pumpkin to hold the stem in place.
- Cut the jack-o-lantern face pieces (eyes, nose, mouth) out of the black construction paper. Attach each piece to one of the strips of paper to form a face.
Tagged with: paper lanterns pumpkin