Chinese New Year craft for kids. Easy classroom project for children, these his Chinese noise makers are decorative and a festive way to celebrate the New Year. Printable for both the Mandarin (Gong Xi Fa Cai) and Cantonese (Gong Hey Fat Choy) sayings for Happy New Year.
For an easier craft:
- Start with an empty toilet paper roll for each Chinese New Year noise maker.
- Cover completely the TP roll (as shown with the gold foil paper) or leave the the top 1″ uncovered (as shown with the black paper). Attach either with glue or scotch tape.
- Print out either the Gong Xi Fa Cai or Gong Hey Fat Choy banner.
- Cut out the template at the bottom of the printout to use as a marker for where the slits should be on a standard sized toilet paper roll. Wrap this at the top of the roll and mark where the slits should be.
- Cut 8 sections of Mardi Gras beads (from one or two colors of beads). Each section should have 12 beads on it.
- With scissors, make the slits at the top of the TP roll about 1/2 to 3/4″ deep.
- Slide the string between the first and second beads from the cut sections of beads into each of the snipped section on the paper plate. The single bead can be on the inside (as shown on the gold foil paper) or on the outside (as shown with the black paper). Either way, just be consistent on the placement of the beads. If the single bead is on the outside, then all beads can be enclosed inside the tube until ready to use.
- Once all the beads are in place, thread a ribbon through the snipped sections of the paper roll. This optional step will help the beads stay in place longer and give a nice finished look.
- Staple the snipped sections of paper plate together so that the beads and ribbon will stay in place.
- Decorate the tube with the Chinese words for Happy New Year (Mandarin (Gong Xi Fa Cai) or Cantonese (Gong Hey Fat Choy). Secure with scotch tape.
- Add other ribbons to decorate the tube, again securing in place with scotch tape.