Easy yarn eggs are a fun Easter Craft for kids. Be creative and create a beautiful colorful table centerpiece or Easter decoration. Glue soaked yarn is wrapped around balloons then hardens to create an egg shape design.
Cost for this craft is less than .10 per egg. Other than the glue costs, an inexpensive bag of water balloons and yarn should only run around $1 each and sound make around 20 eggs.
- Cotton yarn or embroidery thread – any color choice. Choose pastel or Easter colors for best results
- Balloons – several small water balloons work well
- School glue or liquid spray starch
- Container for glue mixture
- Stick- Popsicle stick, skewer or chop stick
- Wax Paper
- Cover your work area with a sheet of newspaper. Cut a section of wax paper to use for the finished Egg.
- Mix half water and half glue together in container or bowl. For each Easter egg, you will need about 2 tbs of water and 2 tbs of glue. You will not need to dilute if you are using liquid starch.
- Blow up the small balloon and tie with a knot. The balloon should only be about 3-4 inches long.
- Do not cut the yarn into pieces, keep it as one continuous piece. For each balloon, you will need about 1 yard of yarn. In this example, I used a variegated (blue, pink, yellow) color.
- Working with 1 foot of the yarn at a time, dip the first section in to the watered down glue mixture and leave it in the bowl long enough to become lightly saturated. Use the wooden popsicle stick to submerge and coat the yarn.
- Take the wet section of yarn and begin to wrap it around the balloons. If the yarn is too wet, you may need to squeeze out some of the excess moisture.
- Repeat steps 5 and 6 until all the yarn has been wrapped around the balloon.
- Allow yarn wrapped balloon to dry for 3 to 4 days or until it is completely hardened, then pop the balloon.
- Sprinkle glitter or confetti over the wet yarn before dries to add a little sparkle.
- Colorful Eggs can be displayed in a basket for a pretty Easter table centerpiece or decoration.
- Tie a bit of string to the egg and hang to display.