- Print out the Three Crosses template on the white printer paper.
- Fold the pattern in half, vertically so that the print is visible from the outside.
- Fold the black construction paper in half and insert inside the folded white paper.
- With the two folded papers together, white on the outside, black on the inside, cut along the lines of the image. For younger children, you may help them out by gluing the folded pages together along the edges of the paper, being careful not to glue within the circle image.
- Place the coffee filter on a newspaper and decorate with the washable markers. Once colored, spritz with the water until the colors run together. Set aside and allow time to dry. For this example, the colors of green, red, blue and purple were used to create a sunrise.
- Once the coffee filter has dried, apply glue stick to one side of the black cutout of the Three Crosses and attach to the coffee filter
- Trim off any excess of the coffee filter that extends beyond the black circle.
The white circle with three crosses is not used for this activity, but could be decorated with markers and used against a black background for a different version of the same craft.