Easy and very inexpensive holiday bookmark craft for kids to make. The perfect holiday gift for mom, dad, grandma or grandpa. The bookmark is easy enough for most ages of children. For younger children, you may want to pre-cut the pieces and just let them put it together. This is a good group craft project for a classroom or easy enough for an individual child to make without much guidance.
For the poinsettia bookmark in the above example, I used green and red fun foam and a textured grosgrain green ribbon. Less expensive ribbon can be used including red holiday velvet ribbon. Felt can be used in place of the fun foam, but fun foam is easier to trace on and easier for children to cut out.Cost for this craft is around .15 per bookmark depending on the ribbon used. Paper fasteners can be purchased in bulk for just a few cents each. All materials necessary can be purchased at crafting stores and sometimes at the Dollar Tree.
- Red and green fun foam or felt
- Holiday fabric ribbon – about 1″ wide and 8″ long
- Gold Paper Fastener – also called a gold brad
- Printer paper
- Poinsettia Flower Template
- Print out the Poinsettia Flower Template.
- Trace and cut out the small and medium poinsettia flowers in red fun foam.
- Trace and cut out the larger poinsettia flower in green fun foam.
- Create a small slit in the middle of each flower. Use a different angle on each flower so that the poinsettia leaves will not all line up – giving the flower a fuller look.
- Cut a piece of ribbon about 8″ or what ever length is desired. Cut a small slit about 3/4″ from one end of the ribbon.
- Apply the clear nail polish to the ends of the ribbon to prevent fraying.
- To assemble the bookmark, start with the smallest flower, add it to the paper fastener. Continue with the next red flower then the green.
- Add the ribbon to the back and bend the 2 prongs open to hold the poinsettia flower and ribbon in place.