To celebrate the day in your classroom, I Have A Dream activity is an easy addition to your class lesson plans for Martin Luther King Jr. The quote “I Have A Dream” is from Mr. King’s famous 1963 speech. Children can either find quotes, phrases and words from magazines or write their own. Included in this post is a printable cloud with the words “I Have a Dream” along with Martin Luther King, Jr. and his birth and death year.
- White printer paper
- Blue construction paper – I used light blue for this example
- White tissue paper
- Glue stick
- Old magazines
- Printable I Have a Dream cloud (2 print per page)
- Select and print out the I Have a Dream cloud on either white or light blue printer paper.
- Cut out the Martin Luther King Jr. quote and attach to the blue construction paper with the glue stick.
- Have children go through old magazines looking for inspirational phrases or words that have meaning to them. Cut out enough for 5 – 6 clouds. If the words cut out are on a dark background, the children can first glue to white paper and cut into a cloud shape.
- Using the glue stick, attach the words or phrases onto the tissue paper, then cut out the tissue paper in a cloud shape.
- Using just a dab of glue from the glue stick, attach the tissue paper clouds to the blue construction paper. This gives a fluffy cloud look.