Chinese New Year craft for kids. Easy classroom project for children, an alternative to the Chinese Drum, this Chinese tambourine uses red and gold Mardi Gras beads attached to a paper plate. Older children can decorate with the Chinese symbol for Good Luck
- Paper plate
- Mardi Gras beads
- Craft glue
- Gold glitter
- Use a black plate (as shown), red or gold to emphasize the Chinese colors. Cut 12 – 1″ snips along the outer edge of the plate. These snips should be about an inch apart and only on one-half of the paper plate.
- Use a selection of Mardi Gras beads in either red or gold. Cut three sections of beads from each color with 12 beads for each section.
- Slide the string between the first and second beads from one of the cut sections into the first snipped section on the paper plate. The one bead should be on the back of the paper plate, with the other eleven beads towards the front.
- Skipping the next snip in the paper plate, loop up the same cut section of beads to the third snipped section of the paper plate sliding in the thread so that one bead stays on the back of the paper plate.
- Repeat this with the rest of the beads, alternating colors.
- Once all the beads are in place, thread a ribbon through the snipped sections of the paper plate. This optional step will help the beads stay in place longer and give a nice finished look.
- Staple the snipped sections of paper plate together so that the beads and ribbon will stay in place.
- Older children can add the symbols for Good Luck with the craft glue then adding the gold glitter. Lay flat and allow to dry completely.
Tagged with: mardi gras beads